These breakfast taquitos will keep you on the straight and narrow of tasty, healthy, protein-packed breakfasts to sustain you all morning. Soft creamy scrambled eggs & avocado bed nuggets of crispy tasty bacon and sweet red capsicum inside a crispy tortilla case.
Salty, creamy, crunchy & sweet – yum!
Make these ahead of time & freeze so you have them handy whenever you need them for entertaining, a quick snack or protein-packed breakfast. When defrosted, reheat in hot oven (200C) or microwave for a few minutes. Please note the microwave will soften the tortilla casings but it won’t lose any flavour or goodness.
Servings: 6 taquitos (six servings)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 25gm butter
- salt & pepper if you like (you can add less salt than usual as the bacon will add saltiness)
- 6 rashers bacon, fried or baked in a little macadamia oil to your preferred level of crispiness and cut up roughly with scissors
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut into small cubes
- fresh parsley, a handful roughly chopped
- macadamia oil
- 1 pack of Go No Gluten 10-inch Wraps (Gluten Free Wrap) or Go Low Carb Wraps (Not Gluten Free)
Creamy scrambled eggs
- Put small saucepan on low to medium heat and melt butter until liquid. Butter should bubble a little but not burn or brown.
- Whisk eggs, milk and seasoning together in small bowl and add to saucepan when butter melts.
- Stir gently by continually scraping the mixture away from the pot’s bottom. A heat-proof spatula is perfect for this and saves you a big cleaning-up job at the end.
- When the mixture is almost set (it will have streaks of white & look soft yellow with no runny bits) remove it from heat but keep scraping the mixture from the bottom. The egg will keep cooking in the heat. Leave in the saucepan to begin assembling your taquitos.
Making the taquitos
- Pre heat oven to 200 C.
- Brush a wrap with a little water and heat in your sandwich press until soft and floppy (about 7 secs).
- While still hot, lay the wrap flat and lay a generous strip of scrambled egg down the middle of the wrap from one end to the other about 5cm thick. Lay slightly less mixture at both ends so they don’t spill out when cooked.
- Lay bacon, avocado and red capsicum bits over the top of the egg and finish with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
- Roll the tortilla to encase the egg filling snugly, into a long round tube. Do this while it is still warm and bendy.
- Lay the taquitos seam side down on a lightly greased baking tray (You may brush it with macadamia oil).
- When you have assembled all the taquitos, bake in oven for around 10 minutes or until hard and a little toasted but not burnt.