Chicken Shumai (Siu Mai) is a popular dim sum item. Learn how to make chicken shu mai with this quick and amazing recipe that is better than Chinatown!!
- 2 lb boneless and skinless chicken thigh, ground
- 8 peeled and deveined medium shrimp, diced into small pieces
- 2 black fungus, soaked in hot water and cut into thin threads, or fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped scallion, white part only
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- Shumai Skin
- green peas and tobiko, fish roes, for garnishing
- Using a mini food processor, ground the chicken but make sure that it’s corsely ground. You can also chop with a knife. Mix the chicken with all the ingredients together, set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place about a tablespoon of the filling on each shumai skin, gather up the sides and leave the center open. You might cut off the uneven edges with a pair of scissors if you like the shu mai to look prettier. Garnish the top with a green pea and some tobiko. Steam in a bamboo steamer for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.