Cheesy Baked Japanese Beef Curry Rice – No fuss baked Japanese beef curry is the real deal. Sweet and spicy Japanese curry is love at first bite! Aromatic rice soaked in rich curry sauce, paired with juicy beef and melted mozzarella cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup short grain rice (Japanese rice)
- 300 grams beef, thinly sliced
- 2 cubes Japanese curry
- 2 small onion or 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 ml water, divided
- Grated mozzarella cheese (enough to cover the whole ramekin)
- First of all, in rice cooker: use 1 cup rice + 1 cup water ratio or in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker: use 1 cup rice + 6 cup water ratio for 7 minutes.
- Heat medium saucepan over medium high heat, add oil, onion, a pinch of salt and pepper, cook for a few minutes until soften.
- Add minced garlic.
- Add beef and cook until roughly 70% cooked.
- In addition, Add 100 ml of water and deglaze saucepan by scrubbing the bottom with a wooden spoon (tons of flavors there!).
- Add the remaining 400 ml of water, wait until it is boiled.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add 2 cubes of Japanese curry to saucepan, turn off heat and stir until curry cubes have completely dissolved, and taste!
- Put rice at the bottom of a cast iron skillet, beef curry over the rice, then cover the whole surface with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Put cast iron skillet into oven for roughly 15 minutes or until the cheese have fully melted and formed a nice crust.
- Serve immediately!