Gluten Free Garlic Naan Bread
Gluten Free Garlic Naan Bread – This recipe makes 4 large or 6 small Naan Breads.
Try making these naan bread to serve with Curry or Chicken Tikka Masala.
- 180ml warm water
- 1 tsp active yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 250g plain gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- And 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp soy yoghurt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- And 2 tsp white sesame seeds (optional)
- Add the warm water, yeast and sugar into a bowl, then stir and set aside until frothy.
- In a separate, large bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, garlic powder and onion powder and stir to combine.
- Once the yeast mixture is slightly frothy, add the vegan yoghurt and oil and stir to combine. Add to dry ingredients and mix until a slightly sticky dough is formed.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and add just enough flour to gently knead for 5 turns and form into a ball.
- Oil the mixing bowl and place the dough back in. Cover with a damp towel or cling film and set in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the dough from bowl and turn onto a floured surface. Knead briefly (adding additional flour if it is too sticky), then divide into 4–6 even balls.
- Place the balls back in the mixing and cover allowing them to rise again for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, begin heating a pan over medium heat.
- Take a ball of dough and lay it on a floured surface. Roll out into an oval with a rolling pin. Lightly oil one side and sprinkle the sesame seeds, if using.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the edges of the dough look dry and it’s beginning to bubble up. Then flip the dough cook on the other side.
- Repeat until all naan is cooked. Serve immediately with your favourite Curry sauce or Chicken Tikka Masala.