Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
For the macaroni
- 250g gluten free macaroni pasta
- Fresh chives
For the cheese sauce
- 500ml milk (dairy-free if necessary)
- 50g butter (dairy-free if necessary)
- 50g gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g cheese, grated (150g of cheddar and 50g of parmesan)
- salt and pepper
For the breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC / 180°C Fan.
- Boil your pasta in salted boiling water (with a little oil too) until almost cooked (You can leave it a little undercooked as gluten free pasta has a tendency to break up more. It will finish cooking in the oven)
- Drain the pasta and put to one side whilst you make your sauce.
- To make the sauce, melt your butter or margarine in a saucepan. Once melted, add in your GF flour, mustard powder and smoked paprika. Stir in for a couple of minutes. It probably will go quite clumpy, don’t allow it to sit, always stir.
- Gradually pour in your milk and whisk it as you go. Whisk all the milk in until you have a lump-free sauce. Keep stirring and simmer until the sauce has thickened (4-5 minutes but it might take a little less or more).
- Remove from the heat and stir in your cheese so that it melts through. Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine your sauce and pasta in whatever saucepan you prefer. Mix together carefully so the pasta is coated but not too much so that the pasta breaks.
- To make the breadcrumb topping, add your butter/margarine to a small frying pan and allow it to melt. Then add your gluten free breadcrumbs and smoked paprika. Stir together until the breadcrumbs turn golden and then cook for about a minute longer.
- Either in a larger ovenproof dish or 3-4 small dishes, spoon in your cheesy sauce-coated pasta. Sprinkle over your toasted breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until crisp, golden and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve up as a main or a side
Adapted from Becky Excell