Gluten-Free Thumbprints Cookies
These Gluten-free buttery cookies have wonderfully tender, sandy texture thanks to the addition of almond flour. Studded with nuts and topped with jam (or chocolate, or caramel, or icing) they look striking and taste delicious. We know you’ll love this gluten-free version of our Thumbprints Cookies recipe.
- 16 tablespoons (227g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (48g) almond flour or 1/2 cup (40g) pecan meal
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups (298g to 361g) King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup (85g to 113g) finely diced chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup (255g) icing, jam, or the filling of your choice
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or use a non-stick baking sheet; greasing the pans isn’t sufficient to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars until very light.
- Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the nut flour and the lesser amount of gluten-free flour, stirring until well blended. If the dough seems too sticky, add just enough additional gluten-free flour to make it workable.
- Cover and chill the dough for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- While the dough chills, cover the egg whites and leave them out of the refrigerator to warm up to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whip the egg whites until they’re foamy.
- Break off pieces of dough and roll them between your palms to form 1″ balls.
- Dip the balls into the egg whites, and roll them in the chopped nuts. Place the cookies about 2″ apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, then remove them from the oven.
- Make a deep thumbprint in the center of each cookie.
- Return to the oven, and bake until they’re a light golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Fill the thumbprints with the filling of your choice, using about 1/2 teaspoon for each.
- Store leftover cookies, securely wrapped, at room temperature for a couple of days; freeze for longer storage.
Serving size: 1 cookie (22g)
Servings per batch: 60
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 90
- Total fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodiu: 25mg
- Total carbohydrate: 11g
- Dietary fiber: 1g
- Total sugars: 6g
- Added sugars: 3g
- Protein: 1g