The mild bitterness of matcha powder pairs perfectly with the subtle sweetness of coconut, and that makes for an amazingly exotic balance of flavours.
Start to Finish: 45 minutes, plus cooling and setting
– 2 large egg whites
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 tbsp honey
– 2 1/2 cups unsweetened very finely shredded coconut
– 1/2 tsp matcha powder
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 230g white chocolate, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp corn syrup (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 160 deg C. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment.
3. Divide the mixture into 20 even mounds and place on the prepared sheet, spacing 3cm apart. With damp hands, pat each mound firmly into a pyramid shape.
4. Bake until golden brown and firm, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely on the sheet on a wire rack.
5. Whisk the matcha into the cream in a small saucepan until smooth. Heat over medium heat until bubbles just begin to form around the edge. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Stir slowly until smooth. Stir in the corn syrup if using.
6. Dip each macaroon into the matcha glaze, letting excess drip off, then place directly on the rack to set.