Tamagoyaki Japanese Omelette
The Tamagoyaki Japanese Omelette Tamagoyaki is made by rolling together thin layers of seasoned egg in a frying pan. You can enjoy them for breakfast, add them into a bento lunch, or use as a filling in sushi.
How To Prepare
- First, beat your eggs well in a bowl using either a fork or chopsticks if you are an expert chopstick user.
- Add one tablespoon each of soy sauce, mirin and sugar and a little salt to your mix.
- Put a small amount of cooking oil in your pan and bring it up to medium heat. Keep some kitchen roll handy to help keep the pan oiled during cooking.
- Add a small amount of your egg mix into the heated pan. Once the egg has cooked slightly so that the top is still slightly uncooked, push it over to the side of your pan.
- Add a little more oil to the pan using the kitchen roll and add another small amount of the egg mix to your pan. Again, wait for this to cook a little, but before it sets on top. You can then begin to roll the first bit of egg over the mix you just put in the pan until you have a small roll of the egg.
- Continue adding a small amount of egg while oiling the pan each time in between. As you add more egg and roll it up each time, your egg roll will start getting larger and easier to add new layers. Keep adding the egg in new layers until you have used it all up.
- Your tamagoyaki is now finished so remove from the pan and wait to cool before slicing it up into thin pieces with a sharp knife.
Tips and Information
- After cooking, you can place the tamagoyaki in a sushi rolling mat and roll up tightly to get a solid roll. This is a good idea especially when you first start making tamagoyaki to make sure the roll is tight and easy to cut.
- You can try adding different ingredients like spring onion and nori seaweed for extra flavour. Just make sure to chop them up very finely before you add them to the mix.
- You don’t have to use a special square frying pan to make tamagoyaki, but you may find it easier than using a normal round one.