Vegan Brownies with Chocolate Ganache
Vegan Brownies with Chocolate Ganache – Simple, raw vegan brownies studded with walnuts and cacao nibs! A 5-ingredient coconut oil chocolate ganache is optional but recommended for a fudgy, decadent finish. A healthier vegan, gluten free dessert!
Makes 12 pieces
Freezer Friendly 1 month
- 140 g raw walnuts (divided // as original recipe is written, 1 cup (93 g) + 1/2 cup (47 g) // plus more for topping)
- 150 g raw almonds
- ~425 g dates (pitted // if dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain // 2 1/2 cups equal ~15 ounces)
- 60 g cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 g cacao nibs (plus more for topping)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place 1 cup walnuts (as original recipe is written // use 2/3 of the total if altering batch size) and the almonds in food processor and process until finely ground.
- Add the cacao powder and sea salt and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the dates to the food processor and process until small bits remain. Remove and set aside.
- Add nut and cocoa mixture back into a food processor and while processing, drop small handfuls of the date pieces down into the food processor or blender spout.
- Process until a dough consistency is achieved, adding more dates if the mixture does not hold together when squeezed in your hand. You may not use all the dates.
- Add the brownie mixture to a small parchment-lined 8×8 dish (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and before pressing, add remaining 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts (as original recipe is written // use remaining 1/3 of walnuts if altering batch size) and cacao nibs and toss to combine and evenly distribute. Then press down with hands until it is flat and firm. I like laying down a piece of plastic wrap to prevent sticking and get it really flat.
- Lift parchment paper to remove brownies from the dish and use hands to slightly squeeze in the sides to create a smaller square – this will make the brownies slightly thicker and denser.
- Transfer back to the dish and place in freezer or fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes before cutting into 12 (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) even squares (If adding ganache, slice afterwards!).
FOR THE GANACHE
- Add almond milk to a mixing bowl and microwave for 45 seconds or until very warm. Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan until just simmering, then transfer to mixing bowl.
- Immediately add chocolate to warm milk and loosely cover. Don’t touch for 2 minutes so it can melt.
- Add salt and stir gently with a wooden spoon to incorporate, then add melted coconut oil and use a whisk to mix. Set in fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from fridge and add the powdered sugar a little at a time to thicken. Whisk again to combine. If it’s still too thin, add another few Tablespoons powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Frost brownies generously with frosting and then top with additional raw walnuts and cacao nibs (optional). Slice into 12 even squares (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Store brownies in an airtight container to keep fresh. Will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature, or in the freezer for at least 1 month (though best when fresh).
Adapted from Minimalist Baker